Friday 3 April 2009

Would YOU save a stranger?


I was shocked whilst watching 'Would you save a stranger' on Channel 4 last night. I could not believe that when a 12 year old girl was screaming help me because another girl was jumping on her face, chest and stomach, no one on the bus helped her. Why nobody helped the poor girl I don't know but what I hope and now am doubting is that people would help me if I was in trouble. The bus that she was travelling on was crowded with people and everyone more a less pretended that nothing was happening as if they couldn't see or hear her. Also a woman had said 'shh'. How appalling is that? It's worrying to what kind of a world we're living in now for people to not want to help others. I understand that there may be a chance that if a person intervenes then they themselves might get hurt, however I still think that people should help. Even if it is just ringing the police and an ambulance, that's helping. But to ignore it, well the people on that bus should be ashamed of themselves, it was a horrific attack and no-one helped the 12 year old.


There was another story told on the programme about a little boy who got beaten with sticks and belts on a bus, and again, it was a crowded bus and everyone pretended it wasn't happening! 10 against 1 and no one helped the poor lad. When the bus driver told them to get off, the other passengers on the bus just watched as the little lad ran for his life whilst being chased by 10 other taller, older boys. The woman who was speaking about it said something along the lines of 'we were all quite relieved when the bus driver told them to get off, we were thankful we didn't have to look at it anymore'. I could not believe what I was hearing!


I used to think that I lived in a world where there were more good people than bad people but now after having watched that television programme I'm not so sure and it's a shame that we have to live in a world like that. People can be so selfish and I hope that if ever I was in need of help that I would be lucky enough to be saved by a good person.



No comments:

Post a Comment