Sunday 22 March 2009

Body Modification


The lecture on body modification really opened my eyes to the huge amount of ways it can be done! I was the typical person thinking it meant tattoos, piercings and plastic surgery!! I didn't realise that such things as cutting your hair, clipping your nails and painting your nails was actually classed as body modification, but it is!


I don't have a strong opinion on body modification. The way I look at it is that people can do what they want to their bodies because it is their body to do things to! If a person feels better for having breast implants, then why not? If a person wants to be different by having a tattoo then why shouldn't they? I will admit I don't particularly like the look of tattoos on a person but it is personal preference, therefore it doesn't matter what other people think!


I was particularly interested in the subject of tattoos in the lecture and on the website I found whilst researching, I found that people have tattoos because they feel it can define them as a person, and often people get a tattoo because they think it looks cool. Tattoos are more common now than they used to be. In the past, people had tattoos as a religious ritual, or practice. However, nowadays people get a tattoo because they want to be an individual. I do think it is an important issue when choosing what tattoo to have and where it is going to go because the person has to live with it for life.


I would never get a tattoo simply because I don't like to picture myself as a Grandma, and having a tattoo!! Plus I will admit, I'd be too scared of the pain!



No comments:

Post a Comment