Wednesday 15 April 2009

Gossiping


Aren't we all bad for our gossiping?! I must admit I love a good gossip whether it be about celebrities or the neighbours...I love to do it! But why do people gossip? Everyone does it, it is almost like it is human instinct to judge and talk about other people. According to one website I looked at, many people gossip out of boredom. If they've got nothing else to do they can simply gossip and make up stories to laugh about with their friends. I don't think everyone gossips because they're bored, I think that most people gossip because they want to feel part of the group...involved in all that is going on in the world. If you look at some of the things people read about in gossip columns you can sometimes laugh and think how ridiculous! Who cares what celebrities have had an argument, who cares what the best shoes on the market are?! But it does seem that almost every person gossips! I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing, but I can understand why people will see it as 'being bad'.


I was quite surprised to read an article online about women who were fired for gossiping! Obviously the person they were gossiping about had his reasons for reporting them, which is fine...but why were they fired?! It's a free country, so why can't people say what they want? I agree that made up rumours can be hurtful and unpleasant but really you should be the bigger person and ignore it, surely?


I found it very interesting that men have been found to spend more time than women gossiping! Apparently males spend about 76minutes of their time a day, gossiping with work collegues and friends and women only spend 52 minutes talking about others. I thought this was great, seeing as men always seem to think it is women who gossip more!


So, overall I think it is fair to say that there isn't many people who never gossip. Obviously some people gossip more than others but lets be fair, it happens and it is happening all the time! I think it is a healthy thing if it isn't intentionally hurting someone.







1 comment:

  1. Got to agree with this one. As a dog owner and parent it drives me crazy that people do not 'scoop the poop.' It gives dogs a bad name (does that make sense?) and is a health hazard to children. I walk my dog each day on Cannock Chase and it is a great place for kids to play. However, how can a family set up for a picnic on a sunny day with the risk that their kids gamboling on the grass are going to catch some nasty infection?

    And the number of people who do 'scoop' bu then throw the bag on the floor, or hang it from a branch on a tree (believe me it's true) or throw it on the floor by the bin - is unimaginable!! Why go to the effort of scooping if your then gonna leave it lying around anyway.

    Ooooo, need a lie down now...gor that off my chest!!

    ReplyDelete